Friday 1 April 2011

Mother's Day To Me...

Sunday, as a mother (four times over) is my day......I love mother’s day......because it is a day all about me! It’s like having an extra birthday, another day when I am made to feel special and am allowed to be spoilt and do whatever I want (and get away with it) all in the name of Mothering Sunday.  Each one of my children, buys me a card (although I still remember the joys of receiving their little handmade cards when they were younger and of knowing how much effort and wax crayon went into its making) and they also spend time and energy in choosing me a gift (and I like most people....do like gifts...large, small......cost a lot or cost a little it doesn’t matter to me).........and presenting it to me on this special day. Gifts are wonderful......who doesn’t like to receive a treat? I have to admit that on this score I have always been extremely lucky. I have both generous children, but also children who care about the gifts they give and who put so much energy in getting just the right gift, they know I will love. And the cards they buy, always have beautiful words...you know the type, the ones you find, that somehow manage to say to someone, all the things you would like to say, but would struggle to put into words by yourself. But one of the greatest things about my mother’s day, is the kindness, thoughtfulness and care that goes into it....the lying in bed in the morning (heaven....my bed and I have such a mutual adoration of each other), the breakfast eaten at leisure and then not having to do the washing up. Followed by the permission to choose what I want to do...even if its deemed boring by other’s standards, and not feel guilty or feel that I have to give in and say I don’t mind what we do, as I have on many other occasions...because this is my day today...I am allowed to be selfish. As a mother, putting oneself first, is often a rarity...you become programmed, to always consider the needs and happiness of your children first, so the luxury of putting you first is really something...especially without pangs of guilt following. It’s a day chores are not your responsibility – unless of course a major disaster occurs such as the washing machine floods or the cat has brought in a mutilated animal (which by necessity means that’s my job because only I can sort such things out...obviously!) and your children are there to heed your every wish. Such as another cup of tea – right in the middle of the film...which has no adverts.....someone to run the bath for you and make sure it doesn’t overflow or too much hot/cold water goes in....someone to get your dressing gown you forgot.....to change the DVD or even...if you’re really lucky (which I am) someone to paint your toe nails for you.  It is the accumulation of all of these little treats (both bought and unbought) that make mother’s day so special to me. It reminds me how much I am appreciated and loved...and also that I have raised four wonderful children....so good job done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment